My final exams are quickly approaching, and I admit to frequent procrastinating via cooking. I happened upon a recipe that combines three of my favourite ingredients, and couldn’t resist trying it for dinner! I love the nuttiness of quinoa, and frequently pair it with a parsley lemon vinaigrette. The ingenuity of this recipe comes with the addition of pomegranate and baked acorn squash. The squash caramelizes as it bakes, providing contrast to the acidity of the pomegranate. And, oh is this dish lovely looking!
I tinkered with the original recipe’s proportions by doubling the dressing and upping the pomegranate quota (one can never have too many pomegranate seeds…) This tasty and beautiful dish comes from A Thought For Food‘s blog.
Quinoa with Acorn Squash and Pomegranate
Serves 4 as an entree, or 6 as a side
1 cup of quinoa, cooked
1 acorn or kabocha squash
3/4 cup pomegranate seeds (or 1 pomegranate)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
3 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for roasting squash
Juice from one lemon
Zest of a lemon
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. With a sharp knife, cut the top and bottom off the squash. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and, using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. Cut each piece in half again lengthwise. Then slice each quarter lengthwise, creating 1/2 inch slices. Place squash slices into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Spread across the pan and arrange so each piece sits flat. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa. In a separate bowl, make the dressing by whisking together the 1/4 cup of olive oil, the lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley, and scallions. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Once the acorn squash is finished, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
5. Mix together the cooked quinoa, pomegranate seeds, raisins, and dressing in a big serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with the roasted squash pieces.